Monday, November 8, 2010

My Own Little World

Yesterday totally got away from me, as you can clearly see by the absence of a Nov. 7th blog post. It really wasn't a day of rest which kind of irks me, but sometimes, what can you do? And a lot of that was just due to the choices I made with my time. Anyhoo...

Another awesome time of worship at church yesterday (you can read a little more about where we are now and how we got there here ). So challenged, so encouraged to feel God moving in me, so desperate to tap into that ALL the time. By God's grace. We were challenged by PF to take a good, hard look at what we consider to be the best life we can possibly live. According to Scripture, it's not the safe life; it's the life lived out of faith. Which pretty much means looking outside myself, my life, my little world, and following where GOD leads, not ME. Which is hard and uncomfortable and so challenging. We've had some pretty powerful visual images accompanying our time of learning and there's another to get you thinking below. Along with some of the obvious trains of thought that accompanied this video, I also pondered the recent elections and how jaded I am about politics, government, etc. While I voted, I wasn't really enthusiastic about the outcome (even though it pretty much went along with how I voted), and the reason for this lack of enthusiasm was because I don't really have any hope that who we have in office is going to make any major positive change in the way this ol' world is going. Where the real change will take place is in the day-to-day interactions among the people in this country and looking outside of ourselves to the good of others. It can only begin with me. And you.

"The King will reply, 'Truly, whatever you did for the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'" Matthew 25:40

What does this look like for me even today? Stopping to talk with someone and really listen, patiently guiding my children, staying tuned in to God and His leading, giving priority to His Word, watching out for needs that I can meet, and putting an end to living in fear: fear of rejection, of what people think of me, of where faith will take me that I might not want to go. But I'm tired of living in fear. I'm tired of being so self-absorbed. I want my heart to be broken with the things that break God's. And with that...

No comments: