Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Plan, such as it is

First of all, please do not take my last post as my commentary on media/humanity in general or you/your family specifically.  This whole thing is merely about what's happening in my home and family and what's not working for us anymore. I certainly don't want to be the cause of any offense or give off the vibe that all technology is evil. Ok, disclaimer over.
Thanks so much to those of you, both here and on Facebook, who have chimed in with encouragement and advice. I am equal parts excited and terrified about this endeavor. Since I decided with certainty to pursue this I just feel all sorts of confirmation and get it repeatedly (based on behavior around here) that it's going to be the right thing. But it's going to be dang hard.
I can already see that the temptation for me will be to run us ragged with activity. But that kind of defeats the purpose of what I want to accomplish.  I want to take the focus off of DOING and just BE.  I want to experience peace in our home and a slowing down. My mantra for the week shall be, "I am not the cruise director!!"
The times that I rely most on the television to entertain my brood is first thing in the morning and during dinner-makin' time. So I can be certain that these will be the moments in which I'll face the greatest temptation.  If I'm going to be brutally honest, anytime I have an agenda is when I most rely on that thing to babysit for me. I've been arming myself for moments in which an activity is needed with a few goodies at the dollar section in Target and by perusing websites where other brave souls before me have pondered alternatives to the t.v.
Another great temptation for me, personally, is going to be logging off Facebook for the week and not checking email the SECOND I'm alerted by my phone. I do use the internet for work, so I've allotted myself an hour and a half a day to handle any work matters (I know, I'm totally spoiled with a flexible at-home job)/respond to emails/blog about our misadventures. Other than that, the laptop and my phone will be tucked away. I will feel very lonely as these devices connect me to a world in which my name isn't "Mom".
SO.  The experiment begins tomorrow. Feel free to follow along here if you wish, as a witness to our triumphs and, perhaps, epic failures.  My prayer is that I'll be open to all sorts of thing God wants to show me, not the least of which is that the t.v. really doesn't have to be the supreme ruler.

No comments: