Monday, July 16, 2012

Day 1

Let me just say that the best way to start your first day of complete separation from all forms of alternative entertainment is NOT to lose three hours of sleep the night before to a screaming migraine. Strike one.  My lofty goal was to awaken before the children this morning (and you've gotta be up MIGHTY early to beat those boys to the punch).  Instead, my barely coherent, slightly comatose self was only remotely cognizant of the fact that they were up and at 'em around 6:30.  This is generally the first time t.v./computer is used in our day (since, let's face it, most mornings find me barely coherent and slightly comatose).  In my twilight-minded state I remember Jeran coming in to ask where the remote was (I had hidden it the night before). After being reminded that this was day one of our no-t.v. adventure, he merely shrugged and went to haul out his Legos.
This reaction was enough to cause one of my eyelids to sloooooooowly open.  Perhaps there was hope for the day after all!!!
Truly, it was an amazing day.  I could not have asked for things to have gone better on day one. Only one other time in the entire day did the boys even ask about their missing screens (Benj asked after his nap how many days were left and seemed relatively undaunted by the number six).  I really am so proud of my boys as I reflect on the past 14 hours.  They are 100% all in on this challenge and were pretty much unfazed by it all. I didn't do too bad myself. A little work this afternoon, a little blogging now, and I've stayed within my hour and a half internet limit for myself. Mostly.
It seems like such a silly thing, giving up t.v. and computer usage for the week.  I feel like I'm making such a big deal over something so minor.  But it IS a big deal. I can see after just one day how much these things taken over our lives, our brain function, our family time. It was SUCH a good day.  I haven't ended a day feeling this good as a parent and a person in so long I can't even tell you.  It's refreshing. 
With that said, I could be singing a totally different tune come Wednesday.

Fort building busts any boredom


What are these we've found in our house?  Toys?!

This is such a terrible picture - I apologize.  Jeran was a little bit at a loss how to spend his last few moments before bed, and James suggested he go chat up our friendly neighbor across the street.  So he did. :) 

No comments: