Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Happy Medium

I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a happy medium in this life as a parent to young children. I feel that each day swings between extremes with not much time spent in that calm, contented, middle-of-the-road place. The two comments I hear most from people, strangers and loved ones alike, are as follows:

"Oh, these are the best years of your life! Someday you will look back on them and be so sad that they're gone!"

"Wow, three boys; you are a busy lady. Hang in there! It gets better!"

I don't begrudge anyone their opinion on these matters. In fact, I'm sure there's more than a little truth to these statements. What I'm left wondering is, is this my only option? To hang on for dear life to each day that is alternately whizzing and dragging by me, wondering when the craziness will let up, and at the same time looking forward to a future of regret that said craziness is past and my children are gone?
To be clear: I do love my life. My husband. My children. My friends and family. I love that I am able to be home exclusively as a mom right now and not have to be torn in 100 different directions outside the home. I love my boys' energy and laughter. And I know that one day I most certainly will look back with a modicum of fond nostalgia on these days. However, I'm exhausted, people. All. the. time. A typical day includes, but is not limited to: breaking up fights, doling out punishments resulting from these fights, playing, reading, planning meals, making meals, cleaning up meals, wiping faces, wiping noses, wiping butts, preventing accidents, healing boo-boos from accidents I failed to prevent, hugging, kissing, and just in general spending every single second of my day meeting somebody's needs because somebody does need me. All. the. time.
Again, allow me to clarify that in no way do I view every item on the above list as a negative nor am I complaining (ok, I'm complaining a little) about fulfilling the duties on this list. I fully recognize that these are in my job description as a mom. What I'm trying to get at is that I am needed every second of the day. With few exceptions (although there are exceptions; nap times on preschool days for example). I feel like there's barely a time in the day when I slow down. Not only that but all of my boys are at very challenging stages and, each in his own way, has a challenging personality. So while I often enjoy this stage of life, it seems that more often I just feel tired and frazzled. But I don't want to wish this time away because apparently there will come a day when my selective memory will recall only the happy moments, and I'll be afloat on a sea of regret that the time has passed (well, ok, that's probably a little melodramatic, but you know me. That's how I roll).
Here's my bottom line. It's just hard right now. I know that MANY of you reading this are in the same boat or vividly remember being there. And I know that things will in many ways get better and in other ways will be just as hard in a different way. Each season of life has its ups and downs, its joys and challenges. And so once again I recommit to living life one day, nay, one minute at a time. It's all we're given. And God has given each moment to be lived in light of His grace, in whatever life situation He has deemed right and true.
And now time for my disclaimer: my husband rules, y'all. He is truly, without fail, doubt, or exception, the BEST man I know. He daily teaches me the meaning of selflessness, not just because of what he does for me and our sons but for what he does for and how he views all other people. But let's get back to what he does for our family. He does it all. Whatever it takes. Our motto has always been that we are a team, and our marriage has really never been limited to typical gender roles. In light of this, I feel that I must certainly have ended up with the long end of the stick. Not only does he act as handyman, lawn maintainer, etc., but he also cooks like a champ, changes diapers, insists that I get time alone or with friends particularly at the end of those ultra-rough days, gets up with children in the middle of the night, and just in general looks out for the welfare of every member of our family. Without him I would no doubt be a muttering, twitching pile of insanity in the fetal position behind a locked door. So I say, thank you, honey. For understanding me. For being on this wild ride with me. For doing whatever it takes. And for still loving me when I don't. Our boys are so blessed to have you for their father, and I am so blessed to call you not only my husband but my best friend as well.

3 comments:

Jess said...

Thanks Jules for the honest account of what a typical day is like.... there are many times I feel the same exhaustion and frustration and am instantly met with guilt as I think of a future without it when they are grown and gone. You go between love and hate, exhaustion and hyperactivity, dread and hope. All things seem to run on extremes with preschoolers and being around them so much, my moods and life seem to have taken on a preschool like affect. If only there was a nap time carved out for me, or someone could put me in time-out!

Anonymous said...

I don't do laundry (very well at least). Love you babe.

Anonymous said...

Hulia. Your narrative reminds me how much we should be needing God and asking him for our needs every waking minute and we don't. :) Thanks for this. luv Roobs. (his James, you of course, are the man)