Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Traditions

You may not be aware that on Tuesday night I was a featured singer in a production of Handel's Messiah. Well, not a featured singer so much as a member of a thousand-person amateur chorus. Regardless, singing in the Do-It-Yourself Messiah has been a favorite Christmas tradition for the past six or so years. As I sat amidst my fellow enthusiasts, participating heartily in the alto line, letting the vocal and instrumental solos wash over me and lead me into praise of my Savior, I reflected on Christmas traditions. So I present to you this non-comprehensive list. Whether they are brand new, years old, or just in theory at this point, these are some of the traditions in our home and family.

- Advent calendars: this one I grew up with and began with our kids this year. I wish I could say that everyday we opened our little window, read the story/verse, and had meaningful discourse about the reason for the season. As it is I think we accomplished 5 total days, opening about 5 windows each of those days. And even then the boys were more interested in the pieces of chocolate that lay within the windows. Anyway, it's a great way to anticipate Christmas Day and a great teaching tool for the young ones.


- Advent wreath/candles: I always loved this tradition in church and my home growing up. I love how this tradition lends itself to reflection on the meaning of this season and application for my own life. My grandpa made me a beautiful wreath a few years ago which I finally adorned with some decoration this year. However, the candles were MIA, so I guess I need to get on the ball with that one next year.


- Music: As soon as Thanksgiving hits I finally feel justified in pulling out the Christmas tunes, and they play non-stop through New Year's. Favorite albums: Casting Crowns "Peace on Earth", Chris Tomlin "Glory in the Highest", The soundtrack to "A Charlie Brown Christmas", Andrew Peterson "Behold the Lamb of God", Handel's Messiah.
The Do-It-Yourself Messiah I alluded to. It's held downtown and beautifully orchestrated and directed. It's such a treat (and, at times, a feat) to be able to participate in the choral pieces. Beautiful.
I think that this year also marked the first year of Christmas karaoke, eh girls? You know who you are.


- Holiday Magic at Brookfield Zoo: our first year for this tradition was this year. The biggest hits were the polar bear and the huuuuuge indoor train set. Oh yeah, and all the lights of course.


- Giving: James's family started the tradition several years back of donating to CRWRC. What's cool about donating to this cause (Christian Reformed World Relief Committee) is that they send out a catalog each Christmas season and you can select specifically to what you would like to give, anything from goats, to clean drinking water, to education. This Christmas we're looking forward to getting Jeran involved in making our choice.

-Movies: the list of yearly must-sees includes It's a Wonderful Life, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Charlie Brown Christmas, and A Christmas Story.

-Decorating: we're usually in Michigan for Thanksgiving, but as soon as possible after we return home I fire up the Christmas music and pull out the decorations. While we didn't have a tree this year (don't even get me started) we got to help decorate my mom's, and the boys absolutely loved it!

-Baking: those of you who know me well are probably blinking in confusion at your screen right now. I don't really bake. I ruin most things I bake. But for some inexplicable reason I was seized by the desire to try my hand at holiday goodies. Successful yummies were orange-cranberry bread/muffins and peanut butter blossoms (the peanut butter cookie with the Hershey's kiss adorning the top). Nothing fancy but I was pretty darn proud of myself. I'd like to give props to my hubby who helped perfect the recipes and, as usual, taught me a thing or two about work in the kitchen.

Writing: I like to update family and friends on our goings-on via the Louwerse Christmas Crossword which has been a tradition for six years running. This blog may end up making such an update obsolete. Time will tell.

May you enjoy a blessed Christmas and whatever your traditions, may they be filled with faith, family, and friendship. Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi. we don't have a christmas tree and it's Christmas eve. luv roobies.