Monday, May 6, 2013

Whole 30 - Days 5 and 6

Before I collapse into a heap on the floor, let me recap days 5 and 6, shall I? Yesterday morning found me nearly as tired as when I went to bed the night before, so that was kind of a bummer. I also experienced a meltdown of sorts this same morning wherein my husband found me crouched in front of the open refrigerator with my head in my hands. This mini-meltdown preceded the nuclear one I had this evening when my children found me in the chair in my bedroom with my head in my hands, sobbing and announcing what an utter failure I am in life.
Mmmmmkay. Not dramatic AT ALL.
My entire life feels ginormously over-large right now. Too overwhelming to handle. I am oh so tired.  And also, quite tired of seeing my kitchen. This seemingly endless cycle of chop-cook-wash is threatening to do me in (admittedly, this is not helped by the fact that I spent as LITTLE time as possible in there previously). And yet...I know this is all part of the process.  I have been well-prepared through my reading that this is all very likely to happen as my body detoxes all its junk (the fatigue, the emotions, the snapping at loved ones which I am trying to keep under control), but I have to go back and keep rereading that chapter just to make sure I'm not totally crazy.
Speaking of crazy.  My cravings have reached epic proportions.  At lunch time today, this, of all things, was calling my name in a very seductive and hard-to-resist voice:
I mean.
It's a CORN DOG.
Which, let's not deny they are delicious in their own way. But the desire I had to down this thing was just wrong. Particularly since it had already been torn apart by four-year-old teeth.

So I guess you could say that things could be better. But I'm pushing through. I'm confident it will be worth it in the end (which is what I keep chanting to myself in the hard moments).

Day 5

Breakfast:
After the previously mentioned meltdown, my husband sent me off to take a shower and pull myself together, and when I emerged a little more sane, he had this waiting for me:

Believe me, I do know how good I have it.
This deliciousness is ground meat, asparagus, and red bell pepper. And I really did not miss the cheese as much as I thought I would.
Lunch:
OH, lunch (aka Sunday dinner). There's not enough I can say about how good this meal was. For pete's sake, it included gravy.  GA-RAVAY. We used this recipe and anything in a slow cooker, especially if it comes out this good? is a hands-down winner in my book. And I've never had a more delicious gravy in my life. The sweet potato mash and green beans were great compliments. (But have I mentioned the gravy?)
Dinner:
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
(But no margaritas for this girl - sad face.)
I concocted a little taco salad using ground beef (seasoned with this taco seasoning recipe), lettuce, tomatoes, a red and green bell pepper/jalapeno mix, cilantro, and the Avocado dressing found in the book. Ole! (I cannot lie - I really missed my tortillas.)  We served this with roasted cauliflower. Which is not very Cinco de Mayo-y. Oh well.

Day 6
Breakfast:
Went with the old standby: sweet potato hash with a poached egg and a spinach/mushroom saute.

Lunch:
Leftovers from Friday night, this time with the avocado dressing. MUCH better.

Dinner:
Classic Chicken soup and a salad topped with a viniagrette (both recipes found in (where else?) the book).
DELISH.

Now I'm off to collapse. And saying a prayer that tomorrow starts the upswing of things.



No comments: