Sunday, May 5, 2013

Whole 30 - Days 3 & 4

Hoo, boy. The cravings have reared their ugly heads. It started out with potato chips and of course, lo and behold, as I pulled up to Walgreens, this was staring at me through the gigantic wall of glass.
Evil.
I've also been jonesing for ice cream (and behold - Dairy Queen is a block from my house.  Also evil). And then Aurelio's Pizza, which is, thankfully, not in the vicinity.
I was all sailing along on days 1 and 2 thinking what a fun adventure this was.  Now I feel a little resentful watching my hubs down that Coke (hey, at least it's not in my fridge anymore), and I caught myself narrowing my eyes at my boys as they were eating pizza tonight. I still fight myself not to mindlessly pick up their leftovers and scarf 'em down.
It Starts with Food outlines what to expect from week to week (and sometimes day to day) while on the Whole 30 and around day 2 or 3 you can expect to start suffering from something called the "carb flu".  As your body goes through "withdrawal" from sugar and the energy that it can so quickly bring you can experience a hangover-type feeling.  I wouldn't go quite that far (but then, I've had some nasty hangovers in my day.  Sorry Mom). But yesterday and today I hit a WALL around 5:00. Absolutely exhausted. And tonight I do have a bit of the headache that they say can show up. So that's not so fun. Definitely dragging a tiny bit through these days. However, I still feel 100% motivated and SO GLAD I am doing this.  And, honestly, pretty amazed.  That I, the junk food queen, am eating this way.  And enjoying it! Seriously.  If I can do it, ANY.ONE can. For reals.
So what've my eats been?

Day 3
Breakfast:
Repeat of days 1 and 2.  I still really enjoy it (which is shocking because I'm such a sucker for variety), but I am ready to try somthing new.

Lunch:

 I discovered this day that roasting asparagus is hard.  Or should I say easy...to overcook. I mean, look at my first batch...

What a sad little group of asparagi, may they rest in peace. My final crew (in the photo above) looks much healthier but were still a little on the chewy, as opposed to crisp, side. Live and learn. Twice baked sweet potatoes with turkey...still delish.
 
 
Dinner:
 


The recipe here created these tasty lettuce wraps (and tacos for the rest of my family), though I tweaked it to use chicken breasts rather than a whole bird.  While these had great flavor, it was kinda killing me not to have a sauce.  I LOOOOVE my condiments. Of course, the next day I remembered a section in the It Starts book with sauces, and there is a Dreamy Avocado Dressing that IS going on these leftovers tomorrow! The wraps were joined by a zucchini-red bell pepper-mushroom roasted medley.  

Day 4

Breakfast:

The main egg recipes found in the book are for variations on frittatas. I realized while rushing around yesterday morning that we do not have a pan that can also go in the oven, so I improvised and did mini-frittatas in cupcake tins. I threw in spinach, onion, and mushroom. My two younger boys had their Opening Day baseball parade, at which we needed to arrive at 8:15a.m., so this photo is taken while being eaten in my van on the way. :) 

Lunch:
Lunch was leftover mushroom-roasted cauliflower- chicken soup which reheated nicely and was joined by a side of kale chips, which were great for some crunch.

Dinner:



Dinner was, hands down, my favorite part of the day (well, that and watching little people play tball, which brought me a lot of joy and laughter). James made us salmon cakes topped with homemade tartar sauce, both recipes found in the book.  Oh. my. word. They were phenomenal and will be making a regular rotation here.  I hope. We had some roasted brussels sprouts on the side (yep, we are fans of the brussels around here).
 
We also tried making these delicious gems before dinner. As I suspected (though I did not heed these suspicions) lime and egg is just too weird a combination.  I'm definitely trying these again, minus the lime and with extra hot sauce.  This will no doubt make them fabulous.
 



No comments: