Monday, May 20, 2013

How Larabar Saved My Life


"Saved my life" may be a little extreme, but it certainly saved me from diving head first into a bag of Cheetos.
I kicked off last week by straying from the program's three-meals-a-day rule. By allowing myself to get all wrapped up in doing some life catch-up (you know, since I've been distracted by all the cooking and dishes and whatnot) I found at 9pm one evening that I was ravenous. Skipping lunch and skimping on dinner will do that to a person.  So I found myself wandering the Target aisles desperate for a little something that would keep me away from a drive-through (and the aforementioned Cheetos). Lo and behold - Larabar! These little guys have completely natural ingredients and are almost 100% Whole-30 compliant (with a few exceptions).  Now I know the general rule is to recondition the relationship with food and not find other snacky treats to substitute in, but I tell you what. When faced with the McDonalds down the street or this little treasure, I'll go with Lara. My favorites thus far are Cherry Pie and Carrot Cake. Deeeee-lish. I highly recommend in a pinch.
Last week found us doing lots of repeats on meals or leftovers so not much new to share on the meal front (other than that I've realized I should probably just forego the pictures I post. My photography skills SUCK, not to put too fine a point on it, and probably make the amazing meals I've been eating a little less desirable to anyone else).
I will say that last week found me feeling pretty amazing. The mental clarity and energy I have been experiencing (on the days when I don't go off-task and reverting back to the old habit of skipping meals) are well worth doing without a little ice cream here, a glass of wine there. I find that there really is not a lot that I miss.  At least, nothing I think about on any regular basis. This is not to say that I won't be enjoying some cheese or a cocktail again in my life. But for now, it feels AMAZING to know that I am doing something so amazing for myself and, ultimately, my family.  Speaking of those guys - it's become glaringly obvious to me as I've offloaded some of my food demons, how addicted my little guys are to food. They got it from me, of course, so there's no one to point the finger at except yours truly (well, and maybe the American food industry at large - just a little). All they want to do is snack, and if there's a donut within a three-mile radius they WILL sniff it out. And then fight each other for it. It's ridiculous.  So as I prepare to enter into my last week on the Whole 30, my thoughts turn toward the end of this journey and the beginning of another.  Namely, the rest of my life.  And how will the things I've been learning and experiencing translate into my family's day-to-day?  More pondering on that another time.
Tonight, a bit of fun was to be had with my book club. We've been together about ten years now, and we reflected tonight on the different stages of life we've experienced together. They are a great group of ladies, and I'm glad to have them in my life after all this time. Anyhoo....in preparing the snackies for my gang, I went with some unapproved treats for them to enjoy, but I also pulled in a few goodies for myself. This guacamole salad is something I've made for a little while now, even before the Whole 30.  I enjoyed it without the tortilla chips that I usually use to accompany it (though those were available for my fellow readers). I also served some fruit and found this fruit dip recipe. It's not your typical fruit dip all juiced up with Cool Whip, etc. so don't expect any out-of-this-world sweetness. But it did the trick for me (I especially recommend the chocolate).


No comments: