Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Words I Couldn't Speak

What is your only comfort in life and death?*
Color-stained sanctuary
Lily-scented air
Tear-lined cheeks
That I am not my own, but belong - body and soul
To my faithful Savior Jesus Christ
Sun-dappled greenery
Biting chill in the air
Gaping hole
Sealed box
Body and soul
And now we turn to leave you here
Your body
Just turn away
And I keep looking back
Thinking how wrong it feels
To leave you behind
In life and death
Memories
Moments
Love and laughter
Always your laughter
            your encouragement
                 your wisdom
                     your affirmation
To my faithful Savior Jesus Christ
But it is not you we leave here
It is not you for whom I grieve.
Because I belong to Him,
Christ, by His Holy Spirit,
assures me of eternal life
You are whole
You are rejoicing
You are free
and makes me whole-heartedly willing and ready
from now on
to live for Him.
to live

*Heidelberg Catechism Q and A 1

No comments: