Saturday, November 15, 2008

Saying good-bye and looking forward

Yesterday was both a hard and wonderful thing, as I find the funerals of Christians generally to be. Saying good-bye to Sherri, and even more than that, thinking about her family having to say good-bye and move on in life without her, was extremely emotional and difficult. But hearing about her life, people's remembrances of her, the ways she lived out her faith and showed Christ's love through use of her gifts, was, at the risk of using an inadequate word, inspiring. I was reminded at both her funeral and memorial service that all we are given by God here on earth is temporary, but it is a gift. Somehow I ALWAYS trick myself into thinking I have unlimited time. I've spent 31 years of life telling myself that. And what do I have to show for it? I know it's not about me, but I found myself wondering what people would have to say about me should my life on earth end today? And how would I feel standing before the Lord? Would He truly be able to say to me, "well done, good and faithful servant"? I saw many parallels between Sherri and my uncle Paul who passed away a year ago July, and I remember as we were saying our good-byes to him that I had many of these same thoughts. And for seem reason I feel like I'm really GETTING IT this time. Time will tell I suppose. I know that today, I am living in thankfulness to God for another day of life. I am thanking Him for my family and friends and above all His great love. I am asking Him to help me pursue holiness that I might be holy as He is holy, and that He would open my eyes to his awesomeness in this world. And I am vowing, like Sherri, like my uncle Paul, to love the Lord my God with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength, and to love my neighbor as myself.

While listening to my Ipod yesterday, a song by Mark Schultz came on, and I thought it was so fitting as I thought of how fully Sherri lived her life and at the same time questioned the future of mine. It has a BEAUTIFUL tune so just printing the words don't do justice. Maybe I can figure out how to publish it on here. Anyway, for now, these words....

What will you do with the time that’s left?
Will you live it all with no regret?
Will they say that you loved till your final breath?
What will you do with the time that’s left?

What will you do with the time that’s past?
Oh and all the pain that seems to last?
Can you give it to Jesus and not look back?
What will you do with the time that’s past?

What will He say when your time has come?
When He takes you into His arms of love?
With tears in His eyes will He say well done?
What will He say when your time has come?

No comments: