Saturday, November 1, 2008

Another observation

Here's another observation I've made about my new job which I think explains that, while I am so thankful to be at home, I'm having a hard time adjusting/finding balance, etc. This is a 24/7 job. I didn't hear anyone gasping in shock and realization. It's not really an amazing new fact to me either, but I just never really thought about how taxing of a thing that is until recent days. You don't ever get a break (which is not an entirely fair thing to say since James is a very hands-on dad and so helpful when he's home. But the fact remains, when I'm at home too I'm still dealing with it to some degree - day and night). It's stressful in a different way than when I was teaching and being a mom. Then at least I had some variety and was able to transition from one thing to the other. The stress came from trying to accomplish all of the various tasks in a timely matter - caring for kids and their needs both at home and school. And believe me, I don't miss that kind of stress. Now the stress comes from never transitioning but always being the mom. And I don't hate that - I don't want to gripe and give the impression that I don't love my kids or don't appreciate the blessings they bring to my life. I guess I'm just still getting used to this new role and the fact that it's CONSTANT. It's new for me. Except for a few months here and there, I've never been just a full time mom in the three-and-a-half years that I've had kids. And when teaching things were always in flux - there was always some sort of new thing going on. I guess I just need to look a little harder to see that happening in my life. Or work a little harder to add that variety myself. I don't know if I'm even making any sense. Just venting here...
More to come on our Michigan weekend, especially Halloween, when I can get home and upload some pics.

No comments: