Thursday, June 10, 2010

Healthy, Wealthy, and Wise....well, one outta three ain't bad

If you're a regular reader here at the ol' blog you may recall that a couple months ago some friends and I set some goals to a healthier us. You can refresh your memory on that here . Speaking for my personal goals, well, I coulda done better. The snacking after dinner habit is a thing of the past and was actually not all that difficult to give up, surprisingly. As for something as simple as drinking enough water in a day, I have been ridiculously lazy about that. I don't know WHY that should be so tough for me, but I still just don't get enough into my system. I think what would really be helpful is just investing in a Camelbak so that it's on my person all day long. The exercise portion of the goals has been nil. Unless you count chasing after 3 young children all day long. And I do. But I know it's not enough.
Tonight I got up my gumption and went for my first run (of what I hope is many). I finally began to understand my runner friends. It felt AMAZING to be outdoors doing something so good for myself. I was pathetically tired by the end, but it's a start! I'm using the Couch Potato to 5K program so what's even MORE pathetic is that I didn't even run for more than a minute at a time. For the first couple run/walk cycles I was all, "What? I could do this all DAY, punk!" and by the end I was all, *wheeze*- *cough*- *sweat*. (Ok that's a slight exaggeration but only slight.) However, I definitely had a small sense of that euphoria and adrenaline, and I'm excited to see how long I can keep it up! Speaking optimistically, hopefully it's the start of a healthier new me. Stay tuned.
So to recap: one out of three health goals accomplished. For now I'm going to stick to just two and try to whip into shape my drinking and exercising habits. So check back in 6 weeks to see how Julie is doing on:
A) Drinking approx. 64 oz of H2O per day &
B) Exercising 4 x/week

5 comments:

SRR said...

That's great Julie! I used the Couch Potato to 5K and found it very helpful in the beginning. And I had the same proud moment turn into a humbler;)). Keep it up, when you are able to run for a long stretch without being winded- it's one of the greatest feelings! And that water thing. Keep up the running and you'll make up a big portion of your quota when you finish those long runs!

Jess said...

You go girl! I have that app! Hang in there- it'll get easier...

Anonymous said...

Hey girlfriend, so excited to cheer you on! I can tell you that I do NOT get euphoric blitzes and by the 1 minute moment, I am ready to be done so either its' an asian thing or my body type isn't meant to run (even though i force myself) where as my hubby can run for HOURS and sprint the whole thing, what a blessing you have! Keep experimenting wiht this--learn your body, it's reactions, the way it feels and i have a feeling you're going to be a marathon runner of sorts. There are certain makeups for these types of people-- :) Wow. Keep me posted! :) luv roobs.

Crista said...

Camelbaks are worth their weight in gold, in my humble & honest opinion! All 6 of us have one - better investment than any other beverage container!

Anonymous said...

and...where are we with the running little lady? roybn. bobyn.